Skip to main content

How I Clean My Makeup Brushes 

This has been a blog that I've wanted to do for awhile, but every time I would wash my brushes I would forget to take pictures or I would only be washing a few. I finally had quite a few to clean and remembered to snap some pictures! I want to apologize now for the not so great lighting in my bathroom.. 




I had a variety of face and eye brushes, along with my beauty blender, and my Michael Todd face cleanser brush head to clean. 








 I like to submerge my beauty blender in warm water first and then use the Solid Makeup Cleanser on it instead of any other brush cleanser. It was so bad this time and waaaay over due for being washed. It takes quite awhile to get it super clean and (I'm needing a new one) it still has a few stains  on it from my makeup even after it is washed good. I just wash this with my hands and the Solid Makeup Cleanser.





This before and after are still pretty shocking as to how dirty it was and how well the Solid Makeup Cleanser works on it. 









For my brushes I've been using a makeup brush shampoo by Ecotools (I'll link it) and although it does the job well, I feel like it takes a little while and a lot of product to get my brushes super clean. It still is a good product, but I think there is better out there. 
I submerge just the top to middle of the brush in warm water (you don't want to put your whole brush in the water or you could damage it) and then I apply some brush shampoo on my little cleaning mitt (any mitt will do or even a mat I think that would work better) and swirl my brush around on it. After doing that for a little while, I rinse the brush (again not getting the whole brush wet) and start the process over again until it's completely clean and the rinsing water is clear. 
You can just use your hands to clean them, but I find it to be a lot easier and faster with a mitt or some type of item like this to rub your brushes on. I am very gentle with my brushes because I don't want to mess up the bristles. Once the rinsing water is clear I dry my brushes by rubbing them on a towel. A really important part to remember is to shape your brushes using your hand. If your brush dries with bristles frayed outwards it can stay that way and/or mess your brush up. To finish the drying process, I lay my brushes flat on their sides overnight on a towel. There are drying racks that you can use and have your brushes hanging upside down and that is fine as well. Just don't put your brushes up right in a holder until they're completely dry. I repeat this whole process with each brush. 


Submerging my brush in the warm
water, but not all the way. 


Cleaning my brush with the mitt and brush shampoo.


Drying my brush on the towel.






My brush right after reshaping it with my hand.



My clean brush!



My foundation brushes are usually pretty dirty like my beauty blender and it is really important to get it completely clean! This is where I think I would like a different brush cleanser because I have to use so much product on these brushes. You can tell with the befores and afters that it does work.. It just takes a lot of shampoo and time!



You can see how dirty this foundation brush is! 



Cleaning this foundation brush.

before
after

The "before" of a blush brush.
The "after" of a blush brush.









 My eye brushes I do the same cleaning process, but I'm even more gentle with these since it's so easy to tear up the bristles. 














It can be a really time consuming job, but it is so important to clean your brushes. For one, it's not good for your skin to keep using the same dirty brushes on it and two, your brushes will last so much longer if you take proper care of them. Other proper ways to take care of your brushes are by storing them in dry areas (not bathrooms) and upright so the bristles don't get squished. Make sure to clean all of your brushes gently. It's so important to keep from getting any water up in your brush bristles too far because the glue that holds them in could come undone and that would damage your brush. I recommend cleaning your brushes weekly if you use them on a daily bases. If not, you should clean them at least every other week. I'm not sure of the actual "recommended" time of cleaning your brushes, but I assume it's probably once a week.  I'm sure a lot of this is information you already know, but for those that don't know I wanted to share! I understand that some brushes are cheap and you might not worry about how you take care of them because of that, but when you invest in more expensive ones you may want to take better care of them. I hope these tips help!

















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tower 28 Beauty | Makeup

 To the brand that has opened my eyes to a creative outlet while thinking of my skin all the time. Tower 28 Beauty has proved to me that you can have fun with makeup while taking your skin into consideration the entire time. While it's still fun to dip into all my other makeup I have found so much joy in my lightweight makeup ways. The shift happened after trying more cream products and Tower 28 has been one of them. I eyed the beauty of this brand for a while and then took the plunge with their cream bronzer, Bronzino in the shade Sun Coast (the lightest to go with my fair complexion), Beach Please Balm Blush in the shade Power Hour , and a couple of their ShineOn Lip Jellies (Almond & Cashew) .  Their creams are balms so you get a full shine to your look. They not only make your skin look glossy and healthy but also vibrant with the pigment. The blushes really pack a punch in pigment and can be worn as a flush of color or built-up. The bronzer is a little less pigmented th

Beauty Tuesday

For my first " Beauty Tuesday", I thought I would start it off with my May Ipsy bag. If you're not familiar with Ipsy, it's a monthly subscription bag with 4-5 full and/or sample size beauty products. This June marks two years that I've received a bag. Even though some bags are hit or miss, I've continued to be subscribed so I can try out new items. I feel like Ipsy has really upped their game this year and I've loved every bag I've gotten. I'll be sharing my bag with you every month with my own personal review of the bag itself, and each product in it. I'll also blog about how certain makeup wears, feels, and my own opinion of the product. The same for skincare products, and how they work with my skin type.  I hope you enjoy my May 2017 Glam Bag (If you're interested in subscribing to Ipsy's monthly Glam Bag, I'll post the link down below). I'm more into Ipsy for the actual products and not the bags, but I'll admit the ba

Alamar Cosmetics Spanglish | Makeup

I've been loving Alamar since it started and I love to see how far they have come. It's an indie brand I will always recommend so to then get their products in Boxycharm or Boxy Pop Up sales its a win win! That's how I got my Spanglish palette . You can already see this is an Ally palette by the purples! It's a gorgeous one with buttery mattes and stunning metallics. I also appreciate the subtle browns while also having the pops of color too. I found the color story pretty, but also odd. It's not one you see a lot but it does work. I have also found myself creating unique shades by mixing shades together. It's definitely a cute summer moment that you won't be disappointed with.  Swatches left to right: Pero Like, Eres Un Show, Tiene Swing, Guao, Ay Que Cute, Jajaja, Muy Excited, & Ponte Hyper.  Did you miss these blogs?  Lizzie McGuire x ColourPop | Makeup KVD Beauty Edge of Reality | Makeup Beautbean x Shroud It's Freakin' Bats | Makeup I als